Thursday, February 16, 2006

Spring Fever

Finally got everything booked for my annual spring training trip. This year we'll be going down to southern Missouri - a small town called Eminence. Eminence is right in the middle of a network of roads through sections of the Mark Twain National Forest. From the maps it looks like a majority of the roads in the area are very low traffic and so will hopefully be great for riding.

This year there will be a total of four of us going down. Two for the entire week and the other two will join us mid week. Southern Missouri is supposed to be very hilly so this will be a great way to kick off my cycling for the year. Can't wait to get off the spin bike and on the road bike for a change!

The other thing I'm looking forward to is the camaraderie. What really reeled me into cycling was that though it can be an individual sport, it can also be a great team sport. While cycling we work together, look after each other, and kick each other's butts. I've been involved in no other sport where your best teammates are the ones that punish you the most. Riding with the local biking club has taught me how to be a better rider and put me in touch with a community of athletes which for me adds a whole other dimension on top of the physical benefits I get from training with them.

No comments: