Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Another Joins the Ranks

My daughter did a "triathlon" last night. We were at the hockey rink watching her brother at hockey practice. This does not excite her very much. "Daddy, I'm bored...". She looked down at the cover of my Triathlete magazine. "I'm going to do a triathlon!".

I gave her a funny look and she smiled and stepped out of the stands and onto the rubber matted floor that separates the stands from the rink. She looked up at me. She was waiting for the starting gun. Ok... "Ready, set, GO!". To my (and a few other parents) astonishment, she tore down the walkway flailing her hands in a swimming motion. To the end of the rink and back. She proceeded to climb on her imaginary bike. Apparently she has a low seat and high handlebars on her imaginary bike. Maybe it's a chopper. She tore down the walkway - high stepping as she pushed pedals on cranks that were apparently as long as her legs. To the end of the rink and back. At some point the bike ride began looking more like a horse galloping. I assured one of the parents looking on that horse riding was not part of triathlon. Off the bike/horse she tore off down the walkway - this time running. To the end of the rink and back. She threw up her hands as she crossed the finish line. At the finish line I high fived her and held her up. Some of the parents clapped. She looked totally satisfied with herself.

When I was 4 I had no clue what a triathlon was. My daughter not only has a clue, but knows what order to do the sports in. Except for the horse part - gotta work on that. I think she'll be disappointed that horses are excluded. Some days I think that the kids pay absolutely no attention to me. In reality I exert an influence on them that extends farther than I can imagine. I hope and pray that it continues to be a good one.

"Daddy, I'm thirsty." Off to the concession stand for a Gatorade. Will have to start carb loading before coming to Hockey soon if she keeps this up. Will also have to do some work on her bike - I don't think it's correctly fitted.

1 comment:

TriDaddy said...

Kids really do pay attention to what we do. My daughter likes to run off the bike and wants to race with me and "get a number".