Thursday, June 29, 2006

Swim Thoughts

The coolest thing about my swim workouts is the thoughts that bubble up from the shallows.

"A dream without a plan is a wish. A dream with a plan is a goal."

Not sure why the good stuff comes while swimming. Maybe it's because once I get underway I don't have to think too much about it. I'm what I'd describe as an intuitive swimmer - I can feel when my stroke is off or when something needs to be tuned up. Once I feel something is wrong I'll think about it, however if things are going well I don't have to think it through as much so my mind needs something to do other than counting lap after lap. So it spouts random thoughts - most are pretty useless but occasionally a good one bubbles up and sticks with me. When I'm biking or running I have to think and pay a little more attention to what's going on - watching out for potholes, slick spots, cars, and yes - birds. One of the many reasons I've come to really enjoy swimming.



Workout Summary
  • 3.5 mile treadmill run - 35 minutes (yesterday)
  • 1600 yd swim - 30x(20 hard/20 easy) + 2*(200 speed pyramids)
  • 20 mile mountain bike ride - 1:04 - tempo with a few accelerations into Z5
  • 5 mile run - 30 minutes - tempo
  • 20 minutes circuit/core/stretching
  • 25 mile road bike - club ride 21.5 mph average

    Overall things are going well with the workouts - however there are a couple of injuries that I'll have to watch. The first is around my right heel - feels like the tendon might be a bit inflamed. The second is also on my right leg around aductors - feels like a bit of a groin pull. Neither is bad enough to stop me from working out, just have to be careful not to stress them to hard - high intensity run intervals will be out for a while.
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    Nice saying! It's so true.