Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Recognition

An open letter to the birds.

To whom it may concern.

For a while now I've known what you are and also metaphorically what you represent to me. Simply put - fear in all it's forms. From bold to timid from direct to subtle. There are as many different forms of fear just as there are many different forms of you. Identification of fear is the first step on the path to resolving it. I see and recognize you.

I understand your tactics and approach so therefore I know the how of you. I see you patiently waiting and biding your time. I see you picking just the right moment of weakness to strike. I understand that you are a bluffer and that if I hold my ground you will scurry away as quickly as you materialize. Know that you may indeed surprise and frighten me momentarily but that I will stand and defend my ground.

I know the where of you. You are everywhere. You are where I expect you to be and also where I least expect you to be. At times you hide in plain sight openly mocking me, daring me to stand up and face you. At other times you hide yourself until you decide to spring. When that decision comes you are quick and agile. So am I.

Understanding these things have lead me to the why of you. You are there to lead me off my chosen path. You are there to place doubt in my mind and undermine my determination. You are there to harass and ultimately break me in order to cheer in celebration at my defeat. Know this - though I may bend I will not break. While I bend you will in turn be bent by the force of my will and determination. You are not as strong and determined as I so it will be you that breaks.

Know that you will lose this fight and in that knowledge feel what you project.




Workout Summary
  • 2000 yd swim - 35 minutes
  • 20 mile mountain bike ride - tempo
  • 5.5 mile run - tempo
  • 20 minutes circuit/core/stretching
  • No comments: