Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Big Apples in November

On a whim I went to the New York City Marathon website to check on the status of my entry. I'm too slow to qualify in so I have to try to lottery in. I signed up back in April and at the time they said they'd post the entrants list in June. Being June it seemed about time to give it a check. I've heard this is a very tough Marathon to get into because it's so popular and there's a cap. I also saw that my chances to get in would increase each year I registered so I figured it be next year or the year after before I finally hit. I punched in my info to search the database of entrants.

I should pick some numbers and run down to the White Hen and play the lottery because.... I'M IN!!!!!!! Holy crap I made it in! First try! How sweet is that?!?

Now comes the fun part - figuring out logistics - where to stay, what to do, where to eat, how to get around, etc., etc. At this point it looks like it'll be a fairly quick trip with no time for site seeing to keep the cost down. Will probably come in the day before and return the evening of the Marathon. I'm a little disappointed with this since it will be my first trip to NY but I suppose I'll see a fair amount during the marathon. If we can find someone to watch the kids for a few days then my wife will come out with me otherwise it'll be a solo trip since it'll be too costly and inconvenient to come out with the kids.

Time to do some trip planning and begin working on my training plan!

1 comment:

Habeela said...

Woohoo! Congrats! I'm going to try and qualify the hard way next year: run 9 qualifying races. Let me know if you want some help with planning what/where to go/eat.