Monday, June 05, 2006

Fashion Sense

My daughter learned a valuable lesson the other day. She came out to play baseball with my son and I dressed in a T-shirt, shorts, and a pair of high heeled white sandals. High heeled sandals and baseball don't mix.

In our family she is definitely the most fashion conscious. My goal when picking out clothes is to match. Doesn't need to look good, or even appropriate, just needs to match. My son would wear the same clothes every day until they fell off. My wife is much better then my son and I. She manages to find appropriate and matching items, though only after a lot of rumbling from the closet.

My daughter on the other hand has recently taken to picking out her own clothes and definitely has a unique style. Once she walked out of her room with a stripped sun dress tucked into a pair of light blue shorts. The ends of the sun dress hung down through the legs holes of the shorts. This did not bother her. She had on brown knee high boots to complete the ensemble. She likes the boots and think they go with a lot more then they really do. She's definitely on the cutting edge of 5 year old fashion.

Once she asked me why I wear all this skin tight lycra/spandex stuff when I go for a bike ride. I tried to explain to her that its aerodynamic, prevent chafing, and makes it easier for others to see me. I told her about the wicking properties of the high tech materials and the reason it looks like I'm wearing a diaper (chamois pad). She takes it all in, makes a face, and moves on. This is what she does anytime she thinks I'm a nut. This happens a lot.

After the baseball incident I think she knows that you really do need to make fashion choices based on the activity you are doing and not on just on what looks good. The two don't have to be incompatible of course but some combinations don't work well. Like high heels and baseball. Maybe next time she sees me in my bright red/yellow/orange biking jersey with matching bibs and bright orange socks, she won't think I'm such a nut after all. At least on this point that is.



Workout Summary
  • 70 mile bike - 4 hours (yesterday)
  • 20 minutes yoga

    The long bike ride yesterday was fantastic. Blue skies with a bit of wind from the south east. Most of the black birds on the route were content to sit on their telephone poles and watch me flash by. A couple swooped down but didn't come within 10 feet.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
    »