Saturday, June 24, 2006

Bunny Hopping

Silly rabbit, roads are for bikes....

The birds appear to have been thwarted. They've given up. No more chases in a week. It seems they've struck a new deal with furrier friends.

There were two waves on my bike ride today. The first wave was lead by the squirrels. It happened while I was riding down a hill. A squirrel darted out, stopped a foot off my current line, shot forward another six inches for good measure (this was about six feet in front of me), stopped again, flicked his tail, and then turned around and ran back the way he'd came. Apparently this is the squirrel version of chicken. Instead of coming straight at you, they come at you from the sides, hoping to get you swerving just enough to lose control. No such luck. Human 1, animals zip.

The second wave was lead by the rabbits. This one was a bit more bold, and had a much more humorous result. I saw him sitting by the side of the road as I was riding along the Fox River. He saw me and darted off. Unfortunately for him there were only two ways to go, along a fence line, or across the road. He chose the fence line. That's when the dog showed up. The dog saw me coming and scrambled across the yard - barking ferociously all the way. This totally freaked out the rabbit who decided death by bladed spoke was a much better alternative to death by gnashing teeth. The rabbit did an abrupt turn and shot out in front of me.

Luckily for me I saw the situation developing and I pulled up on my handlebars and pedals as hard and controlled as I could. I've bunny hopped pot holes before. This is the first time I've bunny hopped a bunny. The situation ended with the bunny disappearing in to the bushes, and the dog crashing into the fence. Human 2, animals zip.



Workout Summary
  • 60 mile bike ride - 3:30
  • No comments: