Monday, June 12, 2006

TOMRV - Day 2

The first half of Day 2 (Dubuque to Preston) is my favorite part of the entire ride. There are a couple of really good long climbs with a breakfast buffet stop at Kames in St. Donatus to fuel up. The scenery is spectacular. The route follows highway 52 until just outside of Bellevue before breaking southwest down to Preston.

Since I opted for the bonus route I stayed on highway 52 at the break point and took it down to highway 64. During the “post break” point I counted five other riders for about 25 miles. The road ran along the valley wall adjacent to the Mississippi river so there was lots of climbing. The road was overhung by thick trees in many places which helped shelter me from the wind a bit. After a mile long climb on 64 I was cruising into Preston with the wind at my back and feeling good.

For the return trip I hooked up with Paw and headed back down 64. He dropped me on the first baby climb outside of town called Miles. By then my legs were turning to lead. As he was riding he too was attacked by the black birds perched along the telephone wires running parallel to the road. Glad to finally see that I’m not the only one out there who is bird-bait.

Paw and I tracked each other back down to 52 and up into Bellevue. After a quick stop at a gas station Paw quickly shook me loose for the last time up the monster climb out of Bellevue. I was glad to be dropped as it was taking every bit of my strength to sit on his wheel. After that I rode in solitude for the remaining 30 or so miles. The sky darkened up but didn’t start raining until I was back at the truck with my bike stowed for the trip back home. The rest of the gang (shorter option guys) had made it in about 15 minutes ahead of me.



Workout Summary
  • 117 mile bike ride – 6:33
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    Sounds like an awesome trip!