Monday, June 19, 2006

There's No Shame in Quitting

This is what we told ourselves as we sat at the rest stop after stage 4. 100 miles in, 26 miles to go. I was done. Totally cooked. Climbing off the bike at the rest stop I could actually feel the fatigue over my entire body. I remember thinking during stage 4 that I wasn't going to be able to complete the ride this year. The slightest inclines brought my speed down to a crawl. The front of my right knee was getting a bit sore from all the seated climbing up grades that ranged from 8% to 13%. It was hot, humid, and windy. It was very very hilly.

In retrospect I think it was the right decision. The remaining 22 miles would have taken well over two hours given my pace at the time. I probably would have ended up doing more damage than good. In addition this is not an "A" event for me this year - it was supposed to be a hill training ride. These rationalizations coupled with the fact that the guys I was with arrived at the same conclusion independently was all it took. Instead of taking the right turn and climbing Pinnacle we proceeded down county road K and did the finishing climb for the day - a 3 mile 11% grade climb up Mt. Horeb.

But.... It still really sucks DNFing. I came out to ride 126 and finished with 106. It's kind of like walking during a run. Once you start it's hard to stop. Now that I've cut a ride will I be more inclined to do it again? Will I now begin going down the path of not finishing what I start? Have I hit the turning point?

The left-side shoulder angel (the one I call Dennis) is of the opinion that we're now great pals. I've seen the light he thinks. I've finally come to my senses. All of this energy spent defining and pursuing difficult goals is for the birds. I'll now join mainstream America and spend my evenings watching network TV in a leather recliner with a built in beer cooler. I'll start drinking Miller Light, gain a good 20 or so pounds, and sell my bicycles to finance a motorcycle. Isn't that what middle aged men are supposed to be doing? I should join the club and coast out the rest of my life. Never mind the incredible feeling of accomplishment and self confidence after striving for and achieving difficult goals. Never mind the myriad benefits of a life forged by taking the hard way. Kick back. Have fun. Go with the flow. Dennis has great plans for the two of us.

The right-side shoulder angel (the nameless one) politely taps the podium. It's his turn to speak. He pauses for dramatic effect. "Are you honestly going to let one DNF on a training ride derail everything you've accomplished?" Dennis' smug smile vanishes. "Will you now change the clever little tag line on your blog from 'reflections on a life sculpted by Triathlon' to 'reflections on a life sculpted by failure'?" Dennis stares in disbelief, hangs his head, and promptly disappears in a cloud of dirty gray smoke. "I didn't think so." Nothing more is said. The nameless one steps down from the podium. The silence is deafening.

Dennis' losing streak continues.



Workout Summary
  • 106 mile bike ride (Saturday)
  • 60 minutes yoga/core (Sunday)
  • 20 minutes yoga (today)
  • No comments: