Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Word Spinning

While swimming today my mind chewed on the subtle differences that occur when words shift. It surprises me sometimes that I can keep count of my laps with junk like this running through my head. The word shift that had me so intrigued this morning was the difference between "train to eat" vs. "eat to train".

I consider myself to be in the eat to train camp. I've been trying to focus more on my nutrition over the last couple of months and am to the point now where I'm beginning to periodize my diet along to complement the way I periodize the workouts - easing back on carbs when I don't have a workout the next day, going big on proteins when I have long rides or runs, more natural fruits and vegetables instead of crackers and such for snacking, etc. In short, giving my body what it needs when it needs it instead of giving it anything it wants because it tastes good. Because I'm in this camp my focus is eating right so I can train better. Another broader way to spin this is to say that I prepare so that I can succeed. Quite a revealing spin. Am I a classic OCD or what?

My neighbors on the other hand are definitely in the train to eat camp. They're the ones who go on family bike rides a couple of times a week with food stops along the way at the Dairy Queen and Burger King (the royal ride is how I refer to it). In fact pretty much any physical activity they do is followed by some sort of food reward. They might actually be large hairless hamsters - I should look into this (this particular thought caused me to laugh out loud - not real smart since I was underwater at the time). Because of this focus they're definitely train to eat campers - in the end their focus is more on doing something healthy to justify their treats and rewards. The broad spin here is that they work hard in order to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

My point? Spinning does more than make you dizzy sometimes. Consider where you stand on the eat to train/train to eat question. You might be surprised at how much thinking about the why of your answer reveals about you and the way you approach life. Kind of like the half-empty vs. half-full debate. Careful trying this while swimming though. Laughing and being underwater don't seem to mix very well.


Workout Summary
  • 2360 yd swim - continuous - easy cruise
  • 15 mile bike - mixed
  • 5 mile run - tempo
  • 30 minutes circuit/core/stretching

    Legs held up pretty well on today's run. Still a bit sore from the big run Sunday but form and energy were both surprisingly good. Still have this weird adductor injury that doesn't seem to want to heal. The weird bit is that it doesn't affect my running or biking - it only hurts when I walk. Guess after two months of this it's time to bite the bullet and go get probed by the high paid guys in the white coats.
  • No comments: