Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Grindstone

I popped out of the pool this morning and looked out the windows. Dark. Not even a hint that the sun would be making an appearance anytime soon. Crud. Time to bite the bullet. Time to trade in my sweet morning outdoor bike rides for indoor spin classes. At least until spring. Crud.

As I entered the spin studio I noticed a couple of changes. In my absence they had installed a video projection system. During the classes they still continue to play the same lousy music, but now they break up the boredom a bit by playing training videos. Not sure why they don't axe the music and use the video soundtrack but this was certainly better than staring at myself in the mirror for 45 minutes.

During the video they would periodically flash tips, queuing info, and an occasional inspirational quote. I definitely needed inspiration. And then this hit the screen:

Life is a grindstone.
Whether it grinds you or polishes you
is determined by what you're made of.

'Nuff said.



Workout Summary
  • 2160 yd mixed swim - 1/3 LSD, 1/3 at tempo, 1/3 alternate sprints with LSD
  • 45 minute spin class. Argh.
  • 5 mile run - tempo
  • 30 minutes core/circuit/stretching

    Swim was good. Will continue continuous swims until my last 1/2 of the season and then I'll start mixing it up more and focusing on form for a couple of months. I'd like to get better and alternate side breathing and also my legs feel like they're dragging a bit in the water so I need to tweak my positioning a bit.

    Spin class, well, it beats falling down a few flights of stairs. Actually it was nice to catch up with a few people I haven't seen all summer. In the end the music wasn't too bad - though the choreography was still not so good so I spent most of the class doing my own thing.

    Run was great. My legs are still a bit sore from the long run on Sunday - so I didn't think it would go so well but my form was spot on and I cruised. I think the leg soreness is due to bad post workout nutrition. I ran out of Endurox two weeks ago and my long workouts since have left me pretty sore. Guess what I'm doing after I publish this post?
  • 3 comments:

    Born To Endure said...

    Yup...falls coming ...time to head indoors..this sucks!!!

    3iron said...

    Right back at your rooster boy - I suppose that had I slept in as long as you did there might have been plenty of daylight to start the bike.

    Unlike you though I fit in a swim, a spin, a run, and some circuit training.

    Oh yeah - that's right - you're "tapering". Isn't 6 months a bit long for a taper though?

    Spandex King said...

    I like the social part of the gym. At first, then after a week I'm ready to get back outside by myself. Good Luck.

    Funny I just posted in my blog today that the feel of fall is in the air this week.