Sunday, August 27, 2006

Eye of the Storm

Today as hurricane fears grip Florida and the deep south I found myself thinking not about the havoc and fury around the rim of the storm but of the eye in the center. That pocket of relative calm and tranquility surrounded by destruction and chaos.

Once in a previous life I worked for a system testing organization. We were responsible for testing and integrating software into large scale communication networks. For many, load days were always the most stressful day of the week. Load days were when the development teams would drop new software into the lab. I was responsible for getting the software up and running and the lab operational so that the testers could begin test cycles.

The testers and developers alike would hover over me as the various devices went up and down, choking on bad configurations or software. I would be peppered with a constant stream of questions as I tried to get the systems online again. "What's wrong with the RF sites?" "Why are you re-nailing all the circuits?" "When will my system be up?" Many times I'd respond patiently and calmly but other times the interruptions went ignored as I focused in on the problems.

People knew that when I was in this mode that unless they made eye contact they had little chance of getting through. I was in the zone, narrowing and solving problems one by one until the system was up. Someone mentioned that being with me during these times was like being in the eye of hurricane. Everything else was going to hell as chaos ran rampant throughout the system but through it all I remained totally calm and focused.

We all have chaos in our lives. Some of it is momentary like T1 and T2 of a triathlon. Others are just normal patterns that have become part of our daily lives. Traffic. Emails. Phone calls. If you get caught up in that chaos it's easy to become frazzled and exhausted. Frustrated. Irritable. If on the other hand you can remain calm - if you can be the eye of the storm - you can overcome and avoid being emotionally and physically drained by the effects of chaos.

Workout Summary
  • 15.5 mile run - LSD - 2:24

    Weekly Summary
    Aside from the skipped workouts on Thursday everything else went pretty smoothly. I give myself a bit of leeway during my recovery week, but I still felt guilty about dumping the workout. Type A OCD to the core....

    Neck is still a bit sore after yesterday's bike. Not sure why since I haven't changed anything in my bike setup since early in the summer. Will be going to check out a bike shop near where my son plays hockey - they apparently do fittings there so it's worth a shot. The other alternative is driving up to Madison to the guys who originally set me up. I'd like to stay local if possible though.

    Little tired in the legs today for the run. Plus I forgot to grab nutrition on the way out the door so I suffered through the last 5 miles, arriving home a bit on the shaky side. I kept my pacing pretty slow today - about 10 minute miles. Next week I'm shooting for an 18 miler for the long run.
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    Ok. So now I'm just getting scared! You and everyone else I've been talking to this weekend have said the exact same thing! Mere coincidence? I think not!