Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Triple T - Day 3

Another day another tri. As we rolled into transition about 15 minutes before the 1/2 was supposed to start we all joked at how nonchalant we'd become. On the first day everyone was in transition an hour or more early carefully arranging their running and biking stuff. Now most of us just walked up, threw down our bags, racked our bikes, and got ready to get busy.

The swim was the same double loop time trial start course again - they pulled out the first turn buoy another 250 yards and added another sighting buoy. I decided to focus on drafting for this swim so I found a pair of feet and followed them for the first loop. After that the guy I was drafting started to slow so I spent the next lap hopping from feet to feet until I finished.

The bike was a very challenging two loop course through the state park. The course was an excellent balance of difficult climbs and scenic views. While descending the first big climb I learned a valuable lesson - dental hygiene and cycling to not mix well. I had just eaten a Cliff bar (wild cherry - yum!) and had something stuck between my teeth. I was in the process of picking it out when I hit a large yellow butterfly with my mouth half open. Needless to say it was not a pleasant taste.

During the bike I learned a new trick for dealing with tri-trash. I was getting a bit dismayed by all the discarded Cliff wrappers and gel packs I was seeing along an otherwise pristine state park road. My nutrition plan was pretty simple this time around - two Cliff bars and two gels (along with two bottles of cytomax with two more waiting for me at the 1/2 way point). The idea was to eat the Cliff bars first at one hour intervals and then do the gels at 1/2 hour intervals before the bike/run transition. After I ate the Cliff bars I tucked the empty wrappers under the leg band of my shorts. When I ate the first gel I wasn't sure what to do with it. It was still a bit on the sticky side so I didn't want to tuck it and get a bunch of goo all over me. Instead I pulled out one of the Cliff wrappers and stuck the empty gel packet in there. Then I tucked it back in my shorts. No more tri-trash from me.

The run was the same course we'd been doing for the olympics - a 3.25 mile out and back up a trail in the woods - this time repeated twice. I decided to walk the steeper sections to conserve energy and alternated between water and infinit at the aid stations along the way. It was extremely hot and I was a little worried about dehydrating but in the end I think I ended up drinking too much because my stomach started feeling bloated and sloshy. While walking up one of the steeper sections the second time I got bit on the calf by a horsefly the size of a small trailer that had been harassing me. Overall I walked a lot more than I wanted to - a combination of the heat and the sloshy bloated stomach. I definitely need to come up with a better run nutrition plan when it's hot. On the way back I was passed on the trail by two ambulances. Apparently others were having a far worse day than I was so I sucked it up and kept pushing on giving words of encouragement to others along the way. I was never happier to see a finish line.

All in all this is a great series. Most of the others who were doing the triple were IM veterans many of which were using this as a tune up for Lake Placid. You simply cannot beat the value in this race. The other part that I thought was cool was the camaraderie. For all the races you rack your bike along the same rack so you got to know your rack mates well

If I do it again I'll definitely spend more time doing trail runs over hilly courses. Two days later my ankles are still a little sore - unaccustomed to the twisting of running on steep uneven surfaces. But overall I'm in good shape.



Workout Summary (Sunday)
  • 2000 yard open water swim
  • 56 mile bike
  • 13.1 mile trail run
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    What an amazing weekend! It makes me tired just reading your reports! :)