Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Goose Rant

This time of year the whole area is overrun with Canadian geese. I'm thinking that we should be focusing on controlling the border to Canada to keep these guys out. Apparently it's not a national priority though. Dang it.

My runs through the local forest preserves now resemble the football drill where you have to put your foot through tire openings due to the goose crap accumulating all over the place. Since many of the geese now have little goslings to protect they're beginning to get more aggressive. Today I ran by a pair of geese and they chased me for about 10 feet - wings spread, heads down, and hissing. Yes, geese actually hiss. They must be in cahoots with the cats on this one. They're really quite intimidating until you stop, wave your arms, and hiss back at them. Then they remember what their wings are really for. They scamper off to a safe distance and then proceed to heckle you with annoying honks.

Fear can be like this as well. It can suddenly grow large and intimidating. Our minds magnify this and build it into impossibly high and impenetrable looking walls. They surround us and box us in - altering our self perception and blunting what we are truly capable of. The illusion remains as long as you allow it to. It remains until you kick at the corners and the whole thing crumbles. Then you see that fear is often just another bluffer. It's the cat with the arched back and the goose with the spread wings. It makes itself huge in your mind until the moment you see it for what it often really is - an insignificant little beast that is quite often every bit afraid of getting it's ass kicked as you are.

I'm kicking the next goose that chases me.



Workout Summary
  • 20 minutes yoga (yesterday)
  • 50 minute easy swim - 4 x ( 400 free + 4x(20 free/20 breast) )
  • 45 minute spin class
  • 4.5 mile run - Zone 2
  • 45 minutes circuit/core/stretching

    Went easy today since my body still needed a bit more recovery after my Saturday brick. In addition I wanted to be cautious due to a pulled upper glute - my reward for playing Lacrosse with my son on Sunday. Bugged me a lot Sunday and Monday but was only tight today. I was prepared to pitch the run if it flared but it didn't and the run went well. I did spend some extra time stretching today. I didn't do this after the brick on Saturday and think it probably contributed to the pull. Just what I need two weeks before Triple-T.

    Spin class sucked. I really do have to say something to the Tuesday instructor about the music. There are songs you dance to, and songs you listen to. I like Coldplay - especially when I feel the need to lapse into a coma. It just doesn't work for spinning. That and her insisting on a 90 cadence during a song with a BPM of 60.
  • No comments: