Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Focusing on Fun

Despite being raised in similar environments, my son and daughter have completely different personalities.

My daughter and I were playing baseball the other day (before the falcon attack). She wants to play T-ball this summer so we signed her up and bought her a baseball mit and batting helmet of her very own. Pink of course.

Our T broke so I decided to pitch underhand to her so she could work on batting. After six pitches she still hadn't connected, but her swing was solid. After each swing I'd say "Great Swing!". She beamed with accomplishment. It didn't matter if she connected. It didn't matter if she knocked it across the street like her brother often does. This is in stark contrast to my son - a budding type A with OCD, just like his Dad. If my son doesn't connect and knock it 100 feet on every pitch he gets mad at himself.

When she finally connected she jumped up and down with her hands held high. "Whoo-hoo!". The ball had traveled two feet. Backwards. She clapped her hands and got ready to hit again. She's not type A. She's not trying to be perfect. She just wants to be part of the game. She just wants to have fun.

As time passed she hit the ball more. It began going forwards instead of backwards. She got better. I honestly think she doesn't care. She was just having fun with her Daddy on a sunny afternoon. No goal other than fun. As long as she got the least bit of encouragement she was satisfied. She is the embodiment of sunshine.

In my triathlons I try hard not to focus on goals. I try to keep my focus on doing my very best with the conditions I'm presented with. I try to pass this message on to my kids - especially my son who still feels he needs to be perfect in order to consider something his best effort. However I'm a bit of a hypocrite here - as all parents must be at some point. There's always a goal. It may be as simple as bringing down my transition times. It may be to catch pass the arrogant little pinhead who just blew by me on his $4000 time trial bike. It may be to have a comfortable swim, or a smooth run. But there's always something that I need to focus on. It's difficult for me to just focus on having fun. Though I think I need to do that a lot more.

I hope that my daughter continues to learn from me and the example I set. I also hope that I continue to learn from her and the example she sets.



Workout Summary
  • 6.5 mile run - speed pyramids: 3 x ( 3 minutes at 8.5, 8, 7.5, and 7 Mpm pace )

    Have to take tomorrow off due to LT testing on Friday afternoon - the personal trainer said not to workout a day before the test so I pushed a bit harder today. Legs still a little heavy from yesterday's tempo run.
  • No comments: