Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Prey - Part 2

I love it when nature chooses to illustrate a point. It doesn't happen to me very often but when it does I pay very, very close attention.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the front yard playing baseball with my daughter. Suddenly the mood seemed to change. There was a change in the ambient energy - a kind of tension. A gathering or inhale before all manner of fury was released. I took notice.

It started from the backyard behind the house. I couldn't see it but I could hear it. I could feel it. The sound of little wings flapping followed by panicky chirps. Suddenly three small sparrows burst from the bushes on the side of the house. Seconds later a much larger bird burst from the bushes. At first I perceived it as a fast moving shadow - impossibly large. Then I saw the angular head with the dark stripes below the eyes, and the horizontal stripes on the tail feathers as it whisked by me by a few feet. It was a peregrine falcon.

I'd seen them before in the city while up on the observation deck of the John Hancock building. The falcon had been effortlessly cruising on air currents, above the city. He looked peaceful.

Not this one. This one was looking anything but peaceful. The polar opposite of peaceful. He was fierce. He was focused. He was determined. He was the predator. The sparrow was the prey. There was no confusion on the nature of this relationship.

The ensuing aerial battle was amazing and impressive. The falcon picked out one of the three sparrows and pursued it. The sparrow was small and agile and desperately weaved and bobbed trying to shake the falcon. Despite it's size the falcon was amazingly agile as well. He matched the sparrow turn for turn. They spun figure eights around the cul-de-sac across the street and then the sparrow turned in my direction. It was the last move the sparrow would make. The falcon came slightly above the sparrow and threw out his wings and talons at the same time. An absolutely amazing mid-air catch.

With the sparrow gripped in his talons the falcon glided to the yard across the street and stood on top of the sparrow. The falcon calmly surveyed it's surroundings as he waited for the sparrow to stop struggling. I felt sorry for the sparrow. Then the voice inside spoke up - "Fear is for prey".

Goose bumps rippled over my body. I totally got the message in the metaphor. I was the falcon and the sparrow was my fear. I had picked which of the fears I would go after and then pursued it with relentless determination. I had used every bit of ability I possessed to pursue, capture, and and conquer it. Once I had captured my fear I stood and watched it wither and die. I am a predator. Fear is my prey. Fear season is now open.




Workout Summary
  • 2400 yard swim - 45 minutes
  • 5.5 mile tempo run - four five minute accelerations in zone 4
  • 30 minutes circuit, core, and stretching

    Two days off (Sunday and Monday) helped the instep injury. I also threw away two pairs of shoes that seemed to aggravate the situation.

    It wasn't a fluke - my wife completed her second one mile run yesterday! Time to start shopping for 5K's for her. That's kilometers - not karats!
  • No comments: