Monday, April 03, 2006

Back from Break

Back from a week long slack-fest down in Jamaica. I did manage to get in a couple 20 minute ocean swims, but aside from that my workouts consisted of raising my hand to get the bartenders attention and tossing my kids into the pool.

All in all it was a great time. After years of failed attempts I finally convinced my son to try one of those two story convoluted water slide things. After demonstrating that it was totally safe by doing it several times myself and assuring him that he wouldn't die trying, he did it. After that it took another two hours to convince him to stop - he loved it! He's funny that way - can't talk him into anything - he'll do it when he's darn good and ready. As irritating as this is at times I definitely indulge him here. Hopefully this will pay off in resistance to peer pressure later.

Another thing we got to do a lot of was sailing. The resort we stayed at had a small fleet of catamaran style sailboats that were free for guests to use. Again, it took a lot of convincing to get my son out. He finally caved when I took my daughter out and she came back chattering away about how much fun it was. Indulgences aside, I'm not beyond a little underhanded push now and then.

Most of the time was spent going between the pool and the beach. The kids loved the beach - hunting for shells, building sand castles, digging holes, the whole lot. The resort we stayed at was along a seven mile stretch of beach and the water was very shallow for a good 50 feet out even at high tide. Not great for open water swimming but definitely great for the kids to frolic in.

The last night we left the resort and had dinner at a place called Rick's Cafe which is on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We had a fantastic rooftop table that overlooked a cliff where locals and tourists jumped off the cliffs into the water 100ft below. Great food, great music (live reggae band), and great drinks. Even the kids got along for the entire meal - a rare event for us!

Of course I definitely felt guilty about the break in my workouts but I'm sure I'll get over it. Tough to shake the guilt - once a type A, always a type A. However in the end the break has definitely been good for me mentally. Sometimes it helps to step away from something for a bit to appreciate how much you really enjoy it especially if it has become routine. It's easy to get caught in a cycle of just going through the motions after a while even when you are motivated and focused. Routine dulls motivation and mixing things up occasionally keeps things fresh.

Looking forward to getting back in the swing tomorrow particularly since Triple T is now 2 months away! Now I get to dig through the 300 emails the accumulated while I was away....

No comments: