Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Friend Returns

Today an old friend return after a prolonged absence. I heard him this morning while getting logged into work. For me he represents spring and everything it stands for. Rebirth. Renewal. A time for shaking off winter and getting on things put on hold for far too long. Spring officially starts in March, but my spring doesn't start until he arrives.

My friend strikes me as the king of his kind. He sits at the top of the tree proudly surveying his domain. He calls out in a loud, piercing, and proud voice announcing his arrival. All others of his kind pale in comparison. He is flashy and flamboyant. He rocks and he knows it. He is the cardinal that lives in my neighbors tree.

I'm normally not one to admire the flashy and the flamboyant. But him, him I admire. I admire him because in his shrill voice and flashy display he fully embraces his nature and lays it out for all to see. He doesn't hide any part of himself under a blanket of fear or self consciousness. He doesn't filter his responses through a veneer of political correctness.

He strikes me as the type that does what he does because he is what he is. He doesn't strike me as one to suppress his nature for fear of failing in others eyes. He puts it all out there for all to see. He is what he is and if you don't like it shut your windows and close the curtains. He inspires me in this way. He's what I want to be when I finally figure out how to grow up.

No comments: