Thursday, April 13, 2006

Parting

Spent the evening last night with a friend drinking Guinness (responsibly of course) and installing a new drive train (the reason for drinking responsibly) on my bike. My existing drive train had around 4000 miles on it so it was due for a replacement. I can't wait to give it a test ride tomorrow - hopefully it will prove to be worth the $$.

While upgrading my friend asked what he should do with the old parts. I told him to throw them into the box and I'd take them home. Later I wondered why. In my opinion they're too worn and beat up to be resold on ebay. I suppose they could be used for spare parts, but since the new drivetrain is 10 speed the 9 speed stuff won't be of much use to me.

Yet for some unexplainable reason I can't bring myself to just throw them away. So many miles, so many memories. It just doesn't seem right to discard the drivetrain parts that got me from my first triathlon to an Ironman. This is completely irrational for me. At home I'm the one who gets rid of every single item that is no longer useful. I can't stand clutter. The elimination of clutter in my house borders on an obsession for me. And yet, I can't bring myself to chuck an old, beat-up, worn-down, greasy, oily drive train. I have to laugh at myself as I come face to face with my hypocrisy.

So I guess I'll have to start an "old bike part" museum. That way I can justify hanging on to things of no use because they still have value to me at some level. Eventually I probably will end up chucking them but for the time being I can't so I have to find some way to rationalize the irrational.

I won't tell my kids about the reason for the museum though. That's a can of worms that needs to remain firmly closed.



Workout Summary
  • 1.5K interval swim
  • 45 minute spin class - endurance focus
  • 30 minute interval run - 3 minutes on 3 minutes off
  • 20 minutes circuit training, core, and stretching
  • No comments: