Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Resistance

Today during spin class I had a bit of an epiphany about cycling. Normally for me these little epiphanies come to me while swimming. I've discovered a lot the "way" of swimming and it's full impact on me through these revelations. They give me penetrating insights into my life and how I live it. They help me understand my "way". They come out of the blue with no warning. I guess it gives my mind something to do in order to achieve balance over the effort I put into the physical aspects of training.

Part of the way of cycling is the way of resistance. Whether it's grinding up a hill, pushing into a headwind, or spinning out the big ring on a flat, cycling is about you powering yourself against sources of resistance. The harder you work the more the resistance increases against you. Your side of the equation is your resistance to that resistance. Action and reaction. Yin and Yang. Training on the bike trains you both physically and mentally to resist resistance. Off the bike the affects of that mental training remain. You learn to persist. You learn to overcome. You learn to resist and persevere.

Wow. From deep thoughts in shallow pools to big thoughts in small rings. I can't wait to see what running eventually reveals.



Workout Summary
  • 45 minute continuous swim
  • 45 minute spin class
  • 50 minute run
  • No comments: