Sunday, April 09, 2006

Catchup

Argh, another slack fest from the blogging perspective this week. Actually it's been a pretty insane week for work. Still trying to transition my old product to a group of fresh out engineers in Poland. They're finally beginning to understand what they've gotten themselves into. They're very afraid.

This week I've dropped circuit training from my Tuesday/Thursday brick workouts in order to make room for more running time. My running lately has been really sluggish so I want to up the mileage and intensity a bit to get over this hump.

Currently at the hockey rink watching my son practice. They've got free wireless internet which is awesome! My son recently got moved up from defense to forward and is playing center. The coaches like his speed and work ethic and think he'll gain some confidence by playing up. Plus, he's a small kid so he's not going to last on defense for too much longer as the kids start shooting up like weeds. He's doing a great job despite being well outside his comfort zone. Exercising the particular demon for him is working out. They played their first game Tuesday and lost, but they played well and my son handled his fear of the whole situation very well. Despite knowing next to nothing about how to play center he did an excellent job, won a majority of his face offs and had several solid scoring opportunities. Progress.

Started detailed planning for the spring training trip to Missouri this week as well. Bought a new software package - DeLorme Topo. This stuff rocks! Within an hour I had 6 routes planned going from 30 to 120 miles. Elevation profiles, turn by turn listings, this stuff is great. From the profiles it looks like we're going to be doing quite a bit of climbing.



Workout Summary
  • 10 mile zone 2 run




  • Workout Week Review
    Run has felt very weak lately and Triple T is looming so I decided to bump up my brick runs on Tuesday and Thursday to 5.5 miles. Will probably do another week of that and then bump it up again to 6.5. Overall the runs went well - though it's still freakin' cold in the mornings here. Weather looks much more promising next week.

    Tuesday/Thursday bricks went well this week despite the week off.

    Friday long swim had to cut short due to work. Ended up with 2250 meters.

    Finally got out on the road bike on Saturday. It was a bit cold and windy and took a while (5 or so miles) to warm up and find my rhythm. Still have to do a little more tuning on my position - doesn't quite feel dialed in for some reason. Good excuse for some upgrades! Overall the ride went well and it definitely felt good to be cruising on roads again.

    Long run this morning was a little rough - cold start plus I haven't slept well over the last week so energy levels were pretty low. Due to this I dropped the cadence down to 80 and focused on form.

    No comments: