Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Playtime

Pip eyes the net and carefully considers where she will strike. She slowly winds up and then quickly releases - converting potential energy to kinetic energy in an instant. The ball rockets toward the net. I almost cover my ears in anticipation of the sonic boom. Nothing could possibly move fast enough to stop it. Super-D springs into action, going from static to blurred in an instant. I make a mental note to have him checked for spider venom. Despite his spider man super powers he's unable to react quick enough. The shot goes in. Pip howls with delight - hands raised, hair flying. Super-D runs out and high-fives her, and then returns to the net and kicks the ball back out to Pip. The whole scene repeats......

This went on for most of the evening. Neither of them got frustrated. There were no shouts of "Hey I wasn't ready!" or "Do over!" There was no competition. There was no quest for a personal best. There were no winners or losers. And because of that they both won. They played a sport for the sheer fun and joy of it. And they were happy because of it.

Sometimes we get too competitive - both with others and with ourselves. Competition is good because it forces us to raise the bar - becoming more than we'd be otherwise. It's important though not to get caught up in the competition part and overlook the fun part. Competition is a tool for self development but it can also become a tool for self defeat. True joy in what you do will only come if you take the time to make it fun.


Workout Summary
  • 2520 yd swim - LSD (Friday)
  • 1800 yd swim - LSD
  • 45 minute spin class - hills
  • 3.25 mile run - LSD
  • 45 minutes circuit/core/stretching

    For some reason after Friday's long swim I was completely exhausted. The swim went well but my overall energy was low and I was feeling off so I decided to blow the rest of my workouts for the weekend. Turns out that was a good idea because today I felt great!

    During my swim today I decided to man up and start alternate side breathing for all workouts. I've been doing this in my S&D swims and decided it was time to make it the norm instead of the exception. Breathing on my left side remains a bit awkward but I'm making solid progress and my overall stroke is getting smoother and much more symmetric.

    In spin class my legs felt stronger than they have in weeks (finally getting over the marathon apparently!). It also helped that we had a sub with great music. Spent a lot of time doing one-leg drills in an effort to improve my spin and keep my heart rate down.

    Still having a lot of trouble keeping my heart rate down on the run. I've been playing with my form a bit (trying Pose technique) which is messing up my efficiency. Once my body adapts I'm hoping the heart rate will drop a bit. If not I may have to start walking a bit to keep it in check.

    For the stretching part of CCS I did yoga instead of my usual static stretch routine. After attending a proper yoga class last week I'm well on my way to becoming rehooked on yoga.
  • No comments: