Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Perfect Stroke

It happened when I wasn't paying attention. Perhaps it happened because of the fact that I wasn't paying attention. The perfect swim stroke. It lasted for exactly one length - 18 yards of the little pool. Smooth without trying to be smooth. Fast without trying to be fast. My balance and rotation were perfect. The reach, catch, and pull merged into a single sensation. I sliced through the water effortlessly. And then I was at the wall.

I turned for another lap and it was gone. It never came back. The fact that it happened at all though tells me that I'm on the right path. That emphasis on form, on doing things mindfully and correctly, is getting me where I want to go. I've had a taste of the carrot at the end of the stick. It tasted really really good.

Workout Summary
  • Yoga - 90 minutes (Tuesday night)
  • 5 mile run - LSD (Wednesday)
  • 45 minute swim - S&D
  • 45 minute spin class - speedplay
  • 3.5 mile run - LSD
  • 45 minutes circuit/core/stretching

  • One of the women in the local tri club I recently joined (Multisport Madness) started up a Yoga class on Tuesday nights so I gave it a shot. I arrived tired, uptight, and apprehensive, and left relaxed and invigorated. I'll definitely be going back.

    I decided to try to squeeze in another LSD run to my schedule on Wednesdays as I really want to focus on my run for next year. I wasn't able to do this in preparation for the NYC Marathon due to work pressures but things are easing now so I'm able to carve out the time. Hopefully it lasts. Still having trouble keeping my pacing and heart rate down but it will come as long as I continue to focus on it.

    Brick today went well (especially the swim!) though it was ridiculously windy on my run (30 mph gusty winds). I'm also playing with my form a bit - trying to strike with flat feet instead of heel first. Still a bit awkward but it'll come in time.

    1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    One length of the perfect stroke? Now that's progress! :)