Thursday, November 30, 2006

Development

On one of my run loops the sidewalk abruptly dead ends into a small undeveloped grassy field. The sidewalk picks back up on the other side of the field, so for about 200 yards I have to run in the street, praying that the throngs of under-caffeinated drivers notice me in time to avoid running me over. It's a very stressful 200 yards. On days when the traffic is really bad I bite the bullet and run through the field.

Over time myself and others have worn a thin path between the sidewalks. Not much more than trampled grass with an occasional glimpse of the ground underneath. It's still uneven and lumpy enough that you have to be extremely careful to avoid twisting an ankle.

This morning I noticed that the trampled grass path has been replaced by a much wider, dark, muddy path. Overnight the sidewalk fairies visited and cut a wide groove across the field that will eventually connect the two sidewalks. Soon there will be a gravel base, boundary stakes, and other evidence of construction. Eventually will come fresh, virgin concrete. At last the two sides of my route will become seamlessly united. No more dodging the under-caffeinated. No more stressed looks over my shoulder.

It occurred to me that we all start off with a big, empty, undeveloped field. Then we make a commitment. We decide to become triathletes, doctors, husbands, fathers. At first it's just a wish - starting out as a thin uneven grass covered path across our field. If we fail to work on the path it will become overgrown and reclaimed by the field. If instead we commit ourselves the path will become wider, more worn, more established. Eventually the path will pass from transience to permanence. From wish to reality. From trampled grass to concrete.



Workout Summary
  • 45 minute swim - S&D
  • 45 minute spin class - hills
  • 4 mile run - LSD
  • 30 minutes circuit/core/stretching

    Despite the fact that it makes me feel like a total slacker, I'm really loving the S&D swim sessions. The obvious benefit is that it's helping to improve my stroke mechanics, but it's also affecting my mental state as well. When I get out of the pool it feels mentally like I've just completed a yoga class; I'm calm, energized, and mindful. This mental state carries over into my other workouts making them more enjoyable and productive.

    Did a lot of high tension seated climbing in spin class today - great for reinforcing all the little muscles that are needed to produce a smooth spin. During recoveries I did one legged drills to further improve my spin.

    Had a great run despite another day of totally crappy weather. About 10 minutes into the run it started raining and sleeting. My turnover and rhythm were spot on. At many points I had this really odd sensation of having a giant hand pushing me from behind - likely due to style adjustments I've made based on the Pose Technique.

    Felt strong once again during circuit and core. Finished up with about 10 minutes of yoga.
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    This is so true! I was just thinking about how when you first decide to do something, it's hard and unusual but the more you do it, the easier and more routine it becomes.