Tuesday, November 07, 2006

NYC Marathon Trip Report

Short version: 3:51 - my 2nd fastest time for a marathon!

NYC Arrival
My first view of the city was from the window of the plane as we descended into LaGuardia airport. I quickly identified the Empire State building and watched as the skyline rolled out before me. I saw the bridges connecting the rest of the world to Manhattan Island like arteries to a gigantic pulsing heart. I could already feel the energy that surrounded the place and I hadn't even stepped foot onto it yet. My nervousness and apprehension switched to excitement and anticipation as the energy of the city washed over me.

I arrived at the Kitano Hotel after an uneventful cab ride. The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again. The rooms were small but clean. The price for the location was reasonable. The clerk informed me that my room wouldn't be ready until later (3) so I dropped off my bags and hit the streets.

I quickly found the New York Public Library which is where the buses would pick me up the following morning and transport me to the start of the marathon on Staten Island. The library was only three blocks away from the hotel - perfect! After a quick lunch at Chipotle's I wandered the streets for a while, making my way to the Marriott Hotel which was one of the stops for the shuttle buses that would take me to the Javits Center for packet pickup and a bit of pre-race shopping. On the way I stumbled upon Times Square - what an absolutely amazing place. Images from television really don't capture the feeling of the place - the lights, the crowds, the energy, it was intoxicating.

I grabbed the shuttle to the Javits Center and picked up my packet. While looking at jackets I looked up and saw someone I recognized! One of the Moms from my son's hockey team was on the other side of the rack looking as shocked as I was!! Neither of us had any idea that we were both doing the marathon - what are the odds of that?!? After chatting for a bit we said our good lucks and I headed back to the hotel to get checked in, find something to eat, and then get to bed early in preparation for the following day.

Staging Area
Getting to the staging area was remarkably easy. Bus after bus lined up, loaded up, and headed towards Staten Island from the library. Getting on was simple and uneventful, as was the ride out to the starting point at Staten Island which lasted about a 1/2 hour.

Then came the waiting. The logistics of starting the race at Staten Island require shuttling runners to the island well in advance of the starting time. I had taken one of the later buses and still arrived 3 hours before the 10 o'clock start. The temperature was in the low forties and I was freezing within minutes of getting off the bus. After what seemed to be an endless wait we were finally told to head for the corrals and line up according to our bib numbers. The wait was finally over!

The Start
We made our way up onto the Staten Island bridge. Somehow I got lumped in to a huge group of Italians who spontaneously broke into song, shifting the whole feeling from a nervous anticipation to an enthusiastic festival like atmosphere. You just gotta love the Italians.

Suddenly the canon went off and the classic Sinatra version of New York, New York was blasting through the load speakers. We were off!

The First Half
I had a great first half. I slowly and methodically threaded my way through piles of people. The crowd support as we moved through Brooklyn was absolutely amazing. I wished a hundred times over that I had worn something with my name on it. The crowd seemed to pick out everyone with a name and cheered them on enthusiastically. Little kids lined up to receive high fives, grinning from ear to ear as runners complied. At the eight mile mark I had reeled in the 3:40 pace team. By eleven I had the 3:30 pace team in my sights. I was on pace for a 3:30 finish. I let my excitement get the best of me. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The Third Quarter
It was the Queensboro Bridge at mile 15 that finally kicked my ass and put me back in my place. That was where the real pain and suffering began. Driving in a car you don't realize how tall these damn bridges are. You notice every single inch of them when you're running up them. Running down them is equally as bad as your quads are pounded into mush. By the time I passed over the Queensboro and hit the streets of the Upper East Side I was toast. I had long since watched the 3:30 pace team go and the 3:40 pace team blew by as I walked the aid station at mile 18. My legs were beginning to hurt at this point - not a good sign.

Through the Bronx some well meaning and spirited spectators were handing out Orange slices to the runners. I found out the hard way that Orange peels are just as slippery as Banana peels. I went from upright to on my butt in seconds. Oh man that sucked. I picked myself up, dusted my self off, and continued slogging my way to Manhattan.

The Fourth Quarter
After watching the 3:50 pace team cruise by at mile 21 I was beginning to get a bit down on myself. I had allowed myself to get taken in by the race and was now beginning to pay the price. My quads burned and felt like they were being punched with each step. I had developed a sharp pain in my lower right calf that seemed to rip through me with every step I took. The bottoms of my feet were sore. My big toes were sore. I got passed by a guy wearing a pink tutu and pink shoes.

Crossing the bridge back to Manhattan Island I looked up and saw a guy sitting down and resting on the side of the bridge, his prosthetic leg propped up next to him. He looked tired but determined. As hard as things were for me I can't even begin to imagine what him and all the other disabled runners went through that day. I set aside my feelings of self pity and doubt. This wasn't about finishing fast or finishing good. This was simply about finishing. Period.

The route took us up 5th Avenue past Central Park North where Central Park begins. The crowds began to get more dense and cheering got more loud. As we ran through Central Park my legs continued to scream but I had long since shut them out. I was going to finish and that was the end of it. A sign ahead said 400 yds. Then 300 yds. That quick? Why does it take football players so long to run 100 yds? 200 yds. I could see the finish line. 100 yds. 0. I could barely hear the squeal of my chip passing over the timing mat - the crowds were deafening. I made it. A volunteer hung the finisher medal around my neck and it was all I could do to stop from bursting into tears.

Aftermath
Getting a cab was impossible. The entire area was a sea of people. I consigned myself to the two and a half mile walk back to my hotel. Probably not a bad idea to keep moving - my legs were extremely sore and I knew that if I sat in a cab I wouldn't be able to get up.

I literally ate my way back to the hotel. After exiting the park I saw a hot dog stand and got a chicken shishkabob and continued walking down Broadway. I stopped at another two blocks away and got a pretzel and a hot dog across from the Ed Sullivan Theater - where the David Letterman show is aired. At the next stand I got a bag of roasted almonds. Three blocks from the hotel I had a bagel and another hot dog.

I arrived at my hotel, soaked in the tub for an hour, ordered room service (the food at the Kitano was awesome!), and watched the Rangers game on TV. Then at last came sleep. What a day.

5 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Thanks for the report. Very evocative for those of us who have the occasional dream of running through the boroughs.

And congratulations on making your second fastest time! At the outset, you were looking to "have fun and really enjoy the atmosphere". Seems that you did all that and more.

Habeela said...

Woohoo! Awesome job! I was out there looking for you but I was clearly VERY late as I think I caught the 4:40 crowd running by. Glad you enjoyed your time in the Big Apple anyway.

3iron said...

I wish! Maybe you scrolled too far and saw the 40K split?

Arcane said...

congrats! I don't mind the walk back after the marathon. It helps to keep the muscles loose. Though steping off of the curb isn't fun.

E-Speed said...

I LOVE that you ate your way back to the hotel. That is definitely my style. So strange that many of the parts of your post have happened to me in my few marathons. I feel you on getting passed by the pink Tutu guy. Even though I ran my second best marathon that day getting passed by a man in a pink tutu still hurts!

Way to tough it out and have a good day!