Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Persistence

Cat sat on mat. Bad cat. Sad mat.

The expression on her face was priceless. She kicked her feet and wiggled - desperately trying to restrain herself. Only one more page to go.

Down cat. Good mat. Good cat.

As she finished her first book she threw her hands up in the air and jumped up and down on the bed. Daddy, daddy - I did it!!!!! I finished the whole thing!!!!! For a moment I thought she was going to pass the book through her legs and then spike it the way football players on TV do. She was excited and beaming with pride. She leaped into my arms and gave me a "Pip hug". The kind of hug you need an aspirin after.

Pip struggled with her book for a long time. I lost count of the times she mastered the word "and", only to turn the page, see it again, and be completely baffled by it. My wife was patient and positive - reviewing the words again and again until Pip could recognize them. Pip was also patient and determined. She wrinkled her nose and frowned. She squinted and tried again and again and again to make sense of the gibberish on the page. And in the end she did what anyone who is patient and determined does. She succeeded.

She probably doesn't realize the lesson she really learned through this process. That throughout her life there will be many challenges and difficulties. But if she is patient and determined, she will get through them. She will succeed.

I should go buy more aspirin now.



Workout Summary
  • 2700 yd swim - LSD (Friday)
  • 40 mile bike ride - LSD/tempo (Saturday)
  • 10 mile run - LSD (Sunday)
  • 1800 yd swim - LSD
  • 45 minute spin class - endurance
  • 3 mile run - LSD
  • 45 minutes circuit/core/stretching

    Had to do a bit of catchup there - haven't posted since last week!

    Long swim on Friday was a bit of a struggle because I forced myself to to alternate side breathing throughout. In addition the health club felt it necessary to boost the chlorine levels in the pool by about a billion percent. I spent the remainder of the day smelling like I had chlorine tablets in my pockets.

    Took advantage of the phenomenal weather Saturday and got out on the road bike. Originally I was planning an LSD ride but then I hooked up with another guy from the Spin Doctor club and we rode together for about 25 miles. Went a bit harder then I'd planned but it was a good social ride none the less.

    10 mile run on Sunday felt surprisingly good - finally fully recovered from the NYC marathon I think. I was also able to keep my heart rate down for a change and my rhythm and form were solid throughout. Once again the weather was fantastic - just a matter of time before we pay the price though.
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    I love how these little simple lessons are the most profound and the ones we constantly need to be reminded of. :)