Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Polarity

So, I think I made it in. I have a receipt from active.com and got sent an Ironman number (used apparently to track my progress (or lack thereof) around the course). Ironman USA still hasn't published the official list (c'mon guys!) but all indications are that I made it in. 90 minutes. That's how long it took this race to sell out this year. Good thing I got in as soon as registration opened (2 minutes after it opened to be precise).

It's funny how plunking down something like an Ironman on the calendar alters the focus of everything. Before I had a collection of events with more or less random orientations. The collection is now fully polarized - each event is just another step to the Ironman. Each new event I consider for 2007 will be considered not because it sounds like fun, or presents a particular challenge. Each event will be picked solely on the basis of whether or not it's a necessary step towards Ironman.

Up until now my focus was solely on this year's events however now I find myself not caring as much about the remaining events on my calendar. Ok, I'm still totally excited about the NY marathon. But my few remaining 1/2's and mega-sadistic bike rides just don't seem as important anymore. That's not quite right. I suppose they just don't hold as much relevance now. The 800lb gorilla has just entered the room. All attention goes there.

It's so cool to be on this path again.



Workout Summary
  • 2160 yd continuous swim - 10 laps easy, 10 laps out hard easy back.
  • 23 mile bike - tempo
  • 4.25 mile run - tempo
  • 30 minutes core/circuit/stretching

    Injuries are still under control which is a good thing. The only one that remains is my adductor. If I could learn to stop playing soccer with my kids it might heal. Doesn't seem to affect my run or bike much though - just walking - weird. My run was really fast again today - averaging just under eight minute miles. Must be reaping some benefits from the longer weekend LSD runs. Now that my mileage is ramping up beyond 1/2 marathon levels the 4 mile runs during my brick workouts are beginning to feel like a walk in the park. Too bad I can't hold 8's on my LSD runs!
  • 1 comment:

    Habeela said...

    Congrats on getting into IMUSA!!!!! You've got one exciting year coming up! Glad your injury isn't getting worse.

    BTW, I'm organizing a pre-Steelhead pasta feed. The details are on my blog. Can you believe Steelhead is NEXT WEEK?!