Monday, October 23, 2006

Summaries

Workout Summary
  • 2700 yd swim (Friday)
  • 15 mile run (Sunday)

    Weekly Summary
    Definitely felt the after affects of my long run last weekend during my Tuesday and Thursday bricks this week. My overall energy level was quite low and I was pretty slow in all disciplines.

    Decided to cut back on the long swim a little - at least until the marathon is over and I get back into base training. Form focus on Thursdays continues to pay dividends on the long swim - my rotation and positioning is better and I'm able to feel my pull from my core even when I'm not going all out.

    Skipped the long bike again this week - Saturday turned out to be a busy day (hair cut, travel hockey game in the morning, trip to Madison to see a hockey game in the afternoon/evening) so I punted.

    After watching the Chicago marathon coverage on TV I headed out for the long run on Sunday. About 8 miles in I started getting random aches and pains in my knees and hips, but I think it was due to the cold conditions (30 degrees and windy) as well as residual stress from the previous weekend, so no cause for concern at this point. Today (Monday) my legs feel tight but not wrecked, so I'll throw in a bit of tempo work this week before tapering next week.

    I had been lamenting at how slow my long runs have been the last couple of weeks so I decided to do some analysis on the data I've gathered over the last six months. The data shows my last four long runs have actually been faster than average, and I'm able to run faster now at a given heart rate than at my midseason peaks. Sweet!
  • 2 comments:

    Habeela said...

    Are you still doing the NYC marathon in a few weeks? If so, it sounds like you're going to do awesome!

    3iron said...

    Yep - will be arriving Saturday around noon and then flying out on Monday - it was actually cheaper to stay an extra day then fly home Sunday night!