Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Point

What is your point?

This entered my mind as I pushed off the wall for another lap. I hesitated then hit the brakes and promptly stopped. Right. Point. Don't have one. Need one. Can't continue without one.

I had just come inches from slipping into a "do it to get it over with" mindset. This mindset defeats the entire purpose of drills. Drills are the time to focus on your problem areas and correct imperfections in your form. Without them endless repetition of the same imperfections wreck your form and prevent you from developing.

Once at the pool a fellow triathlete proudly told me that he had just finished 2000 yards with a pull buoy. Why? I asked. I was drilling he replied. What did you learn? Got a blank stare on that one.

If you have no reason for doing a drill you probably shouldn't be doing it. Time spent on a drill without reason is for the most part wasted time. Any benefit you hope to gain from doing the drill only comes by focusing on the point of the drill. Do you know how to do the drill correctly? What is the drill supposed to teach you? Are you focused on that point - or are you just going through the motions?

I stood with my head a little above the surface thinking about my point. I'm still having problems with balance and positioning when I breathe on my left side. I decided to do alternate breaths for 4 laps, breathing on every single stroke for the first two laps, and every other stroke for the second two laps. The focus for the first set was to get my rotation and extension symmetrical. The focus for the second set was also on symmetry, but with a focus on my arm position during the reach.

There it was. My point. I ducked my head under the water and pushed off the wall.


Workout Summary (Tuesday)
  • 1800 yd swim - LSD
  • 45 minute spin class - endurance
  • 6.5 mile run - LSD
  • 30 minutes circuit(weights)/core/stretching

    Workout Summary (Thursday)
  • 50 minute S&D swim
  • 45 minute spin class - hills
  • 6.5 mile run - 1/2 LSD, 1/2 tempo
  • 30 minutes circuit(cables)/core/stretching

    My runs this week have been the slowest they've been in a long time - about a 9 mpm pace over the full distance. Guess the big runs over the last few weekends are taking their toll. Fortunately my last 20+ mile run before the marathon is complete so I can focus a bit getting my pace back as I taper down. Once again I'm not too concerned though - more focused on being comfortable then fast for the marathon.

    In general I felt stronger during today's workouts (especially during spin class) then on Tuesday's workouts. Probably should have either taken the day off or trimmed my time back as I was still pretty trashed from Sunday's long run.
  • 1 comment:

    Crackhead said...

    Yes, yes, YES!

    Swimming is the one place where I just can't not focus. I am better off swimming slowly with good form then just "getting it done."

    Looks like we'll see one another at IMUSA in 07. Do you do any of the local indoor tris? I plan to do some again with long workouts afterwards as prep. for DATTT.

    If you have a DATTT race report or any tips, would love to see them. I have an email link on my blog.