Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Best of 2006

With the last triathlon of the season completed it's time for my "Best of" list for 2006.

Best Swim
This year the best swim this year goes to Steelhead. How cool is it to launch off the side of a pier, plunge down a 10 feet, and then pop to the surface like a cork? Because everyone was well spread out on the point to point course there wasn't the usual floating bar fight effect that a lot of triathlon swims become. I truly enjoyed every yard of the swim despite the fact that my goggles fogged continuously throughout which made for an interesting time sighting.

Best Bike
Though not the best for me time wise, the Triple T 1/2 Ironman loop takes top honors here. The course wound through very low traffic state park roads and was very hilly and challenging. This was balanced by the absolutely stunning scenery of Shawnee State Park - which made this course an absolute joy to ride.

Best Run
This one is a tough one. Of the events I did this year the only run I truly did not enjoy was the Triple T course. All said though I think that the Muncie Endurathon course edges the other events by a very slim margin. The course had it all - good scenery, well positioned rest stops, and very entertaining supporters.

Best Overall Race
Gotta go with the Muncie Endurathon here. The race was fun, well organized, had a great expo, and the post race pulled-pork barbecue sandwiches ruled. In addition this was my first non-wetsuit race - something that in the past I thought I could never pull off. Another fear cornered and tamed.

Best Pre-race Meal
The night before Steelhead, Habeela arranged for a number of bloggers to meet at Santaniello's Restaurant and Pizzeria in St. Joseph. The food was fantastic as was the company.

Best Moment
This year's best moment goes to Steelhead. As I ran down the finishing chute I saw my family cheering me on from the hill adjacent to the finishing line. Then, I looked up at the elapsed time on the official clock and realized that I had just set a new PR. Priceless baby!

All in all I had a very good season this year - solid performances and a new PR for the half distance. With one super sprint, two olympics, and four 1/2 Ironman races it was also my busiest season. Thanks to everyone who helped make this the best season yet in my relatively short triathlon career!



Workout Summary (Sunday)
  • 19 mile LSD run - 2:53

    Coming off a half the weekend before I was originally planning on doing only 15 miles for the long run, but I had time and felt good so I threw in another four mile loop. Surprisingly my legs were not trashed the day after - a bit sore and stiff but definitely not bad at all.

    Was supposed to do my regular brick today but instead took it off to rest up for the Hilly Hundred trip later this week. The official ride is only Saturday and Sunday but we'll be going down Wednesday night to get in some riding Thursday and Friday. In addition we'll be throwing in some bonus miles to the official routes. This will be one of the last road rides of the season and one I look forward to year after year.
  • 2 comments:

    Habeela said...

    What an amazing season! And next year will be even better!

    E-Speed said...

    Finally getting caught up with you over here! Looks like you have been busy. Great job at Deer Creek!

    You had a great year as far as tri's go! Hope next year is more of the same for you!