Friday, October 27, 2006

Break Out

I can usually tell when it's time. First my runs begin to feel a bit flat. They lack the spring and flow they once had. They go from an exhilarating cruise to a dull plod. My shoes are comfortable and broken in but I'm on the edge of comfort now. Performance is beginning to decrease. It's time to move on.

The first run in new shoes is always a bit uncomfortable. A little to stiff here. A little funny feeling there. Flow and rhythm seem a bit off, much like the first dance with a new partner. Until you become accustomed to the subtle differences of your new partner it feels awkward. You suffer from the proverbial two left feet.

After the first few runs the shoes become broken in. They begin to adapt to your style. The stiff parts become pliable. The funny feeling becomes the normal feeling. You adapt to the new shoes. The new shoes adapt to you. Uncomfortable becomes comfortable. Performance begins to increase again. You begin to break out. You begin to push through the boundaries that comfort began to erect.

Sometimes being comfortable is not a good thing. It can sometimes mean that you are no longer growing. No longer progressing. It's often tempting to stay with what makes us comfortable - after all it feels good! It makes us feel warm and content. But after a while it can cause us to plateau and decline. Moving from an exhilarating cruise to a dull plod on flat shoes.


Workout Summary (Thursday)
  • 45 minute swim - S&D
  • 45 minute spin class - hills
  • 5.5 mile run - tempo

    Workout Summary (Friday)
  • 1440 yd swim

    Got to break in my new shoes during my run on Thursday. Don't know if it was the shoes or the fact that I felt fully recovered but my run was outstanding. After a .25 mile warm-up I managed to keep my average pace to around a 7:45 mpm for five miles. Heart rates were a bit on the high side (duh) but it didn't feel like I was really struggling. If only I could keep that pace for 20! Planning on an 8 or so mile long run on Sunday and then two more tempo runs at about 3 miles before heading for New York next weekend for the marathon.

    Had to pull the plug on the long swim today about 2/3 through my planned 2K swim due to a weird muscle pull in my left leg. It was bad enough that it messed with my stroke mechanics (it was one of those sharp, "take-that" sort of pains) so I invoked my "if it messes up form, stop" rule. The weird bit is that I don't feel it at all walking or running.
  • 1 comment:

    E-Speed said...

    those type of pains are extremely aggravating. I have a few left over from Chicago that rear their heads at the oddest moments!

    Hope the new shoes and you adapt to each other quickly!