Friday, March 03, 2006

Training with Purpose

Finally feeling back to normal strength after a bout with a mineral deficiency. Swam long today (3K as 5x50, 500, 5x50, 400, 5x50, 300, 5x50, 200, 5x50, 100, 5x50) and felt strong and smooth. We'll see how the long run goes this weekend. Will definitely be bringing some endurolytes along for the ride.

While reading The Book of Five Rings the other night I stumbled across the following passage: "Do nothing which is of no use". I thought about it for a while and it occurred to me that this is a really good way to approach training. Every workout you do should have purpose behind it. Your purpose might be to push your anaerobic threshold through tempo work, or keep your body loose with a nice slow recovery swim. If you have a purpose I think it's easier to stay focused, motivated, and come away feeling like you've accomplished something. Of course I'm a confirmed type A so having some sort of goal or purpose is natural I suppose.

This idea also spills over into every aspect of life. In work I try to use my time effectively so I have time to do things that I want to do, not just the things I have to do. Lately in the evenings I've been trying to get in some reading instead of watching the latest round of pop-star wanna-be's and the other junk on TV (although I still make time for Lost every week!). If you have purpose and reason for everything you do you won't feel like you've just wasted another day of your life.

Tomorrow my son's hockey team plays in the state championship. Some of the kids are really nervous, others are really excited. The team they'll be facing is ranked first and is a very good team. My son seems pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I'm sure deep down he's nervous, but I think that that is balanced by knowing that he's only expected to do his best. I'm a little disappointed that this will be the last game he'll play with this team. It's been a great team, and coaches and other parents have been great. This spring he'll be moving up to the squirt level along with half his team. New players, new coaches, new opportunities. I hope he continues to enjoy it as much as I enjoy watching him play.

No comments: