Friday, March 17, 2006

Consistency

Wow!!! Have I been slacking or what?!? Last posting is over a week ago. Needless to say things have been ridiculously busy at work and on the home front. I've recently transitioned to a new department but my old department still needs my time so I've working insane hours to keep all the balls in the air. Things are finally starting to settle down now however so hopefully I can get back to posting more consistently.

One of the many things I've found in training to be a triathlete is that being consistent in your workouts is a key. I especially found this in swimming and running.

Swim form for me goes completely to hell unless I consistently do it - at least three days a week. If I take a week or two off and then jump back into it it's a struggle and it takes at least a week before I find my stroke again. I would think with all the swimming I do that my muscle memory would be better but maybe age has the same effect on muscle memory as it has on mental memory.

With running it's not so much the form as it is my body's ability to cope with the pounding. If I'm running consistently I recover much quicker and an not as sore after my big runs. If I'm inconsistent I know I'll be dipping into the Ibuprofin bottle more than usual.



Workout Week Review

This week I had a lot less energy in my Tuesday/Thursday workouts then normal. I'm guessing it's the stress at work more than anything else.

The other big negative is that it got cold and snowy again which was a big let down after the spring tease we got last weekend. Due to this I had to go back to the treadmill for my midweek runs. I can definitely relate to my kid's hamsters now - we let them run around for a while and they get the taste of freedom, and then we stuff them into their little hamster balls where they can still run and see the world, but can't experience it first hand.

I picked up a book called "Core Performance" after listening to Jessi Stensland rave about it on the "Simply Stu" podcast. I'm looking to change up my circuit training routine on my Tuesday/Thursday workouts as it's starting to bore me and I'm afraid as I start ramping up my intensity and volume that I'll injure myself since I do this workout after my swim/spin/run brick. Guess we'll see how it goes!

Today's long swim went well, but this weekend's workouts will be a little tricky due to my son's spring hockey tryouts. Still will try to get them in somehow in the interest of consistency - especially the run!

No comments: