Monday, February 19, 2007

Week in Review (2/12 - 2/18)

This week was supposed to be a "big" week but a costly mistake during Tuesday's morning workouts derailed me. Was supposed to hit 19 hours of workouts this week but only managed to churn out 8:45.



The Good
I did complete my swim workout on Friday (only workout I fully completed this week!). The swim started out pretty rough but after I warmed up and got dialed in it was all good.

This past Friday I had my VO2 max tested (still waiting for official results to be emailed) and my running form analyzed. Turns out that I'm a bit of a "heel striker", which means that I tend to land more on my heel than the flat of my foot. This causes me to "brake" briefly each time I touch down as well as send a nice impact shock throughout my body. The coach gave me a few exercises to help teach me how the correct strike should feel as well as instructions on how to gradually bring the new technique into my running.

The Bad
See my previous post on the "Little Things". My midweek workouts were a wash, and I had to scrimp a little on my long bike and run over the weekend due to time constraints. Overall this week has been my worst yet in terms of making the numbers.

The Ugly
Had a nasty shin splint on Tuesday but that has fortunately healed though I had to take most of the week off to do it. My groin pull is still present but my elbow issue is nearly gone. At this point I'm beginning to think that my groin pull issue may actually be a hernia. I'll be scheduling a visit with a doctor this week to see what's going on as ignoring it doesn't seem to be getting me very far.

No comments: