Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Luck

A little while back I was commenting to one of the regulars at the club that I was having some issues keeping weight on. The guy in the locker next to me looked up and said "Man, I wish I had that problem. Guys like you have no idea how lucky you are to be so skinny."

Luck? Luck has nothing to do with it. Workout 15 hours a week at mostly aerobic levels and see how much weight you drop if you keep your diet the same (barring any medical conditions of course!). The fact that I weigh 150 soaking wet and have about 10% body fat has little to do with luck and everything to do with a whole lot of hard work.

And yet, there is some luck involved here. I'm lucky to be gifted with a body that can handle the punishment of training year in and year out (though it's been protesting a bit lately). I'm lucky to have an extremely understanding family who can put up with my training time needs and my occasional trips for events and "camps". I'm lucky to possess the self discipline and determination to continue to do this week after week, year after year. I'm lucky to have found a sport that has given me several vehicles for self development on multiple levels.

The results part is not where luck lies. Being astute enough to recognize opportunities to use your gifts effectively is where the luck really lies. The results are what happens as a consequence of luck. That and a lot of hard work.

1 comment:

3iron said...

That's 5'8" with heels. You're just bitter because you can't draft off me ;)

Hey - did you catch the writeup on Mike Biarnsen in this month's Triathlete magazine?