Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Week in Review (1/7-1/14)

Overall I'm feeling pretty dang good. Still in prep phase so this week looked a lot like last week. The good news for me was that my energy levels didn't suffer too much this past week so my body is reacting ok to the sudden 30% increase in weekly hours. I've been doing more Yoga to help compensate for the additional load. It's actually accomplishing two things - keeping my fairly limber, and increasing my body awareness - which helps big time when doing form workouts.

I really need to focus on reigning in my Tuesday and Thursday bricks - keeping them at the heart rate I'm supposed to be at. When I feel good I tend to push a hard but I still have a few more weeks at this level before I start adding more time so if I don't reign it in I'll implode soon. Fortunately the overall percentage of time spent going gonzo on the spin bike is low compared to my overall averages - thoguh I don't have data for my swim heart rate so the results may be a twitch off. Graphs show that overall I did a better job of keeping my heart rate more towards zone 1 and minimizing the time spent above zone 3.

Long swim on Friday felt extremely good despite my poor fueling choice the night before (see the Sea Monster post). I had really good balance and rotation throughout the 3K straight set and had enough in the tank to go hard for the last 300 yards or so.

This weekend the weather turned bad so I did three hours of spin bike on Saturday for my long bike (back to back classes plus I showed up an hour early). While not as much fun as being on the road it certainly beat the hell out of sitting in my basement.

Messed up on my navigation for Sunday's long run. At a certain point on the great western trail I had a choice between heading back or heading deeper using an untried route. Of course, I took the untried route, which added 1/2 hour to my planned 2 hour run. I kept the pace pretty slow to avoid causing too much damage though. Good news is that I now have a new 15 mile route which I can reuse later as I move into by base and build phases.

Gory details available on my Training Peaks public site.

Training Time Per Week


Heart Rate Zones

No comments: