Friday, September 08, 2006

Discipline

I don't watch too much television - except for sports. Most of what I see and hear on network TV (including the news these days) is useless dribble designed to entertain morons as far as I can tell. Of course the rest of the family isn't quite as cynical towards TV as I am so there's usually one or two TV's on at any point in time.

Last night my wife was watching reruns of a show called Greys Anatomy. One of the doctors on the show was going through a bit of a confidence crisis and had a great line (paraphrased for triathletes):

I am not the smartest, the strongest, or the fastest.
But I can be the most disciplined. I can be the hardest worker.
Because of this, I can be the best.

We have little control over the gifts we've been granted. Some are naturally fast, naturally strong, or naturally brilliant. Others must work hard to keep up, to achieve. Being disciplined and working hard is a choice - something that you can control. If you exercise that control you can succeed even when you have not been gifted. If you do not exercise that control then you will forever be in the shadow of those that do.


Workout Summary
  • 3600yd continuous swim - 1 hour.

    Skills and drills work yesterday morning paid off in the swim today. My rotation and pull were better than they've been in a long time. I'm beginning to feel my pull coming more from my abdominals now especially when I push hard. According to the TI method this is one of the keys to having a relaxed and effortless stroke. Based on how my swim is starting to feel I think TI is spot on here.
  • 2 comments:

    The (IRON) Clyde said...

    You're right on the TV thing. I've noticed the last two years, it interests me less and less (since I started running/doing tri's). I catch two shows (Lost and The Office) and that's about all I can take. (Besides NFL and College Basketball of course).

    kozzy said...

    You're right, we may not be gifted, but we tri...and that's what life is all about. I read this quote somewhere and liked it: why should I be great in one discipline when I can be mediocre in three?